So, Jason and I called the fire department for the first time. We were sitting peacefully in the living room last night discussing our plans for Sunday school they next day (we had to lead the discussion). Jason smelled something burning. Since we have had some slight electrical malfunctions we were a little concerned about it being an electrical fire. Both kids were in bed asleep and Jason and I were roaming the house like two hound dogs in hot pursuit. We could not locate anything burning. We pinpointed it to the kitchen/hallway. So being the paranoid parents that we are I called 911 immediately. I explained that we smelled something burning and couldn't locate anything. I said I two small children and out of concern for their safety to please send a the fire department right away. As I was giving the 911 operator all the information Jason located the "fire". It was in the dishwasher!!! Apparently a sippy cup lid had wandered it's way down to the hot coils and melted on the coil and burned. Feeling extremely stupid (and still on the phone with a 911 operator) I told him we had located the smell and it was in the dishwasher. The 911 operator said that the truck had already been dispatched and to get the children and wait outside until they got there to check everything out. So I got Macy and Laney out of bed and took them outside to greet the fire truck. Once they gave the all clear we went back inside. Macy wasted no time letting them know they woke her up. She marched right past two firemen went in her room shut her door and went back to bed.
The moral of the story 1. sippy cup lids melt in the dishwasher if the get loose, so secure them in a basket or a rack and 2. Don't call the 911 before you check the dishwasher for a fire and 3. 2 year olds DO NOT like to be woken up to fire men in their house only to find out that their favorite sippy cup is now in the trash because it melted in the dishwasher.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Okay, I am still laughing at this story! This is so funny. I can see Macy letting them have it, and I understand her position entirely. You guys are awesome!!
She definately threw us for a loop with her reaction!!!
Hmm, Macy getting woken up is similar to someone else I know when they get woken up.
Post a Comment